Belene’s project is focusing on how long-term conditions impact on access to and outcomes of hip and knee replacement surgery
Professor Stefan Priebe is head of the Unit for Social and Community Psychiatry, the only World Health Collaborating Centre with the specific task of mental health services development. The Unit has a significant track record in the implementation of complex interventions in NHS practices including research on doctor- patient communication, day hospitals, and financial incentives for medication, patient reported outcomes and non-verbal therapies.
Justina joined the Unit for Social and Community Psychiatry in January 2016. She is working as a Research Assistant on the project aiming to develop an intervention to facilitate carer involvement in acute inpatient treatment. She has a BA in Political Science and an MSc in Global Mental Health. Her main research interests include social and cultural determinants of mental health, resilience, spirituality and mental health, and service user and carer involvement in mental healthcare.
Longstanding interest in quality improvement and cardiovascular disease
• Chair NICE guideline 2008 on lipids and CVD risk estimation
• Co-author of QRisk and QDiabetes scores
• UCLP and Tower Hamlets CCG CVD lead
• QMUL Clinical Effectiveness Group lead
• Evaluation of the NHS health Check programme
• Support and evaluation with colleagues, of Tower Hamlets managed practice networks that propelled Tower Hamlets CCG from the bottom quintile of performance in 2008 to one of the national top performers in 2013.
Currently working with UCLP across a number of CCGs on quality improvement in atrial fibrillation and other cardiovascular disease. He also supports work with the Clinical Effectiveness Group and its primary care database to develop information systems that support a range of studies in quality improvement including antibiotic prescribing, earlier breast cancer detection, domestic violence, testing for HIV and TB, diabetes and liver disease.
Clinical Effectiveness Group: http://blizard.qmul.ac.uk/ceg-home.html